Sunday, December 7, 2008

NRC Video Analysis Research Group (varg-nrc)

Some NRC colleagues who attended our NRC session on video data analysis expressed an interest in setting up a site to support continuing interaction. There was also interest in the possibility of developing proposals for Study Group or Symposium on video analysis for NRC 2009. This site was set up to support these interests.

For those of you who did not attend the NRC session, here is the background: We are a group of researchers at Oakland University who use video data in studying literacy. About a year ago we began looking for tools that would support direct analysis of video data that did not require transcriptions. We reviewed several and finally decided to focus on the Eudico Lingusitic Annotator (ELAN) developed by linguists at the Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics in the Netherlands. Since then we have found ELAN to be a powerful and well documented research tool that has great potential for use in literacy studies. Our NRC session demonstrated both the theoretical framework we are using in our work (Interaction Analysis) and the ELAN software.

At NRC we distributed a DVD that included the ELAN software and a wide range of supporting materials (manuals, sample videos with annotations, instructional videos, etc.) All of the materials on the DVD however are also available on the session web site that is also linked at the upper right. If you did not attend the NRC session, take some time to review the materials on the session site, install ELAN on your computer, and take a look at the sample files.

So ... post questions, comments, and suggestions here. Furthermore, if you are feeling ambitious and would like to propose a study group, session, or symposium for NRC 2009 this would be a good place to do that too.

In order to post comments to this site, you must either login use your Google account username and password or create a separate Blogger account.

3 comments:

Julie Coiro said...

Hi John,
Thanks for setting up the session and the blog. I'd be very interested in thinking about one or more of the following:

1. Lizabeth and I would be interested in presenting a session based on a study we talked briefly about at NRC - perhaps it could be part of a symposium on applying the ELAN software tools to different research studies?

2. I would like to present a session describing the methodology I used to collect and analyze data for my dissertation using a combination of action items from Camtasia, typed responses to task prompts and stimulated recall interviews. I might submit this as a separate workshop/paper since this doesn't use the ELAN software for analysis.

3. Given the positive response to your symposium, there might be enough interest in putting together a morning study group about video/data capturing analysis techniques for analyzing multimedia activities. Would anyone else be interested in helping put together a proposal for either a symposium and/or a study group? I'd be glad to help draft the study group proposal since I'm familiar with the format (having chaired the study group review committee) and would be glad to help with the symposium proposal as well.

Let me know.
:-) Julie

John Mc said...

Hi Julie. Sorry to be so slow responding to your post. I thought I had set up the blog to send me an email when someone posted but I evidently didn't get that right.

In response to your ideas:

1. I think it would be great to have a session at NRC 2009 on video data analysis. I would, however, like to see at least one session next year that focuses on presenting study results rather than the ELAN as a tool. I think a session reporting on several video analysis studies will still give us an opportunity to talk about ELAN as a tool but will put more emphasis on actual results. I think a symposium would probably be the best way to organize a more traditional NRC session focusing on research results and I think it would be great to have you and Liz present some collaborative work. I am in the midst of a study examining reader response in literary hypertext that uses video data and I would be interested in working on a symposium proposal. Would you like to collaborate on one?

2. I think a session focusing on a broader range of methodological technologies would also be valuable. The study I mentioned above integrates data collection and analysis with Camtasia, ELAN, and the browser- and server-based software I use to map user navigation. I would be interested in what you did in your dissertation as well as updates on other technologies that NRCers have been using – I know Bridget and her colleagues at CAST had developed a browser specifically to support middle grades readers online and I think they used that as a data collection platform as well. I suspect there are a lot of creative uses of technology that have a specifically methodological spin among NRCers. Would you be interested in organizing a symposium that focuses on broader methodological issues in the application of technology to data collection? I would be interested in working on that kind of symposium as well.

3. Naturally, I would be interested in a study group focusing on video data and I suspect, as you suggest, that there is interest among more than a few NRCers in doing this. Would you be willing to draft a study group proposal?

John Mc said...

I'm sorry to report that I probably will not attend NRC 2009 in Albuquerque. Too many conferences and not enough travel funds are forcing me to make unhappy choices. If additional funding comes available I may make it but I'm not comfortable leading proposal projects not knowing if I'll be there.

On a more positive note, I hope to begin data collection this term in a study that will integrate quantitative navigational data with video data of readers. As a result, I expect to be making heavy use of ELAN and would be delighted to participate in online activities supporting video data analysis.

In the meantime, I hope NRCers who are interested in video data analysis will still use this site as a medium for exchanging information and interaction. Questions or comments about using ELAN are also welcome.

John Mc